Wednesday, May 1, 2013

You Can Mentor

Mentoring

2 Tim 2:2 ~ The things which you have heard from me in the presence of many witnessesentrust these to faithful Men who will be able to teach others also. 
READING: Mark 3:1-19 
I was privileged to attend the Tokyo 2010 Missions Consultation with my wife, Carolyn. We arrived in Tokyo and on the first day we learned how to ride the subway, we found our hotel and we learned the Japanese words for “goodbye” and “thank you.”
The next day, we met two guys who had just arrived for the consultation. They were so thankful that we could show them how to ride the subway, which train to take, where to get Japanese cash and how to get an umbrella. They assured me it was so much easier to have us as “guides.” I couldn't help but chuckle at the novice mentoring role I was able to play. Here I was a 24-hour newcomer to Japan, yet I could mentor others who were newer than me.
We forget that mentoring is not about being the most accomplished expert. A mentor is simply “someone who has been where you want to go and is willing to tell you how to get there.”
Do you know someone who needs to learn what you know? 
Why not offer to mentor that person? You don’t have to be the world’s greatest. Just offer to share what you know.
Jesus, our Supreme Example, made mentoring a priority. He spent three years pouring Himself into the twelve. They changed the world. Likewise, those you mentor may also change the world. 

2 comments:

The Dickinsons said...

Good post, Jeffrey. Phillip has found mentoring to be VERY effective in our ministry and on the mission field. This is what Bro. Eisenhart, my Dad and Phillip's Dad and others have done for Phillip too. =)

Praying for you at this BUSY time at the end of your school year.

~Heather~

The Dickinsons said...

P.S. Forgot to say that I like that pic of you and your brothers and sister at the top of your blog. =)

~Heather and family~