Sunday, September 14, 2014

Measure of Success - Faithfulness






TOO OFTEN in life we think well Lord, “I’m not talented enough to do what you want me to do so I'll just do a mediocre job and he-haw around in this dirt pile I've suddenly found myself in. Or let me put it another way, maybe we sometimes say, "God why haven't you called me to do something big for you when I have so much more I can offer you in the kingdom or in the place I'm at..?” What a dirty rotten stinking attitude. The truth is folks - All God is asking us to do is to use the meager talents that we do have in the most excellent, God glorifying way possible in the exact place we currently find ourselves in. Matthew 25:23 eludes to this subject when it says, “Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of the Lord.” It does not say, “you were faithful with MANY and I will put you in charge of MANY.” No! It says, “Few.” How often do we want the many before we want the “Being faithful with the few.”  – Too often. God keeps reminding me that I need to faithful with the little and the meager and the unknown before God will hand me another meager and menial or large task to do. Either way we must be prepared and first obeying in the small before the large is even an option. Bottom line: God calls us to be faithful rather than be worried about the results or when "God's promotion will be". That should never be our goal -it should be that of being faithful.


I HAD a few thoughts about “Being faithful with little” five years ago after starting a small ministry called Helping Hands and I saved them on a small worn out piece of paper. I've lost it over the years but I think it went something like this, "God won't hand us anything big until we are faithful with the littlest and smallest things of our lives. Those who go untested are unproven and become ungrateful for the position and responsibility God has given them and eventually that person (often) comes to nothing. God often gives us the small and seemingly insignificant things for us to do to test our character and make us ready for the larger and bigger things God has in store for our lives." This is true! Yet...

ON THE flip side of the coin we shouldn't work hard at the menial to expect the much bigger tasks God hands to us. We are to hear the call of God on all of our lives to be and to remain faithful. He in His wisdom and sovereignty knows when and what’s best for the Kingdom and His glory.

FOR PASTORS If a church isn't growing, or a ministry isn't expanding... that's something that with as much effort and energy that we can put into - is left up to God. Don't let your emphasis be on numerical church growth. Let it be on being faithful, and obedient as an individual and as a church, and one that operates in the Power of the Spirit, and LOTS of prayer and, numbers probably will come but don't have to come. God the great orchestrator will lead according to his plan and purpose. If your reading this and your working hard in your ministry with no visible results and are beginning to shake in your faithfulness. Let me encourage you by saying, “keep keeping on!” 
Scripture says, 

“Now he who plants and he who waters are one, and each one will receive his own reward according to his own labor.  For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, you are God’s building.  According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it.  But let each one take heed how he builds on it.  For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 
1 Cor. 3

“Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them.  Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven.  Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men.  Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.  But when you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, that your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly.”  - Matt. 6:1-4

“Moreover, when you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance.  For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting.  Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.  But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, so that you do not appear to men to be fasting, but to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.”  
Matt. 6:16-18
 (More Verses: Prov.3:3; 2 Tim. 2:13; Psalm31:23; Matt. 6:13)

Keep, "laying up for yourselves treasures in heaven." - Matt. 6:19

FAR TOO often we think that if we don’t see results we aren’t “doing” anything for the kingdom. I God requires of us that we “Do” and “be Faithful”. We must be "faithful unto death (in everything) so that He will give us a crown of life (our reward)."The results are left up to God’s choosing and discernment. Results aren’t promised, and results aren’t fair – that’s left up to God (if people – then left up to them and their decision with the truth). We are called to be faithful with the meager talents we do have whether innate abilities (gifts - born with) or gives that he gives us later on (gifts –specially given by God). Click: More info about Spiritual Gifts and Abilities - PPT by Dr. Phil Brown.
Mother Teresa once said, “We are called upon not to be successful, but to be faithful.” 

"God equates being faithful with being successful not being popular or being a great achiever."

                             

THIS LEADS me to my final point: "A Derived Faithfulness" 
The only reason we can be faithful to God and in his service is because our faithfulness is a “derived faithfulness". It does not come from us – it comes from Him! "A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he." (Deut. 32:4); "His faithfulness will be your shield and rampart..." (Psalm 91:4) I’m glad I serve a God who is faithful! And because of that I have the ability to also be faithful to: my God, and others.

~
I appreciate feedback of all kinds. If you have a word of encouragement, see another angle of this 'multi-faceted diamond', or have an additional point to suggest feel free to comment below or on my Google Plus Post. 



No comments: