Monday, October 20, 2014

The Next Step

For the last few years now while I've been in school I've been applying for jobs consistently. It was hard work and was not very rewarding initially. There’s nothing like having the feeling of “not being good enough” for the job – or so we often think. (Really... the interviews never went badly but God just kept the "job" door shut (and told me to study instead) because He knew I'd still have enough funds even without a job. Oh me of little faith.) Two weeks ago I applied for a job at a local Hospital and just heard back that they, "are not interested in making an offer at this time", and that they, "wish me success in my career search." Once again a door slammed in my nose. But I still kept walking, plodding, and kept taking the next step.

With each door I’d grow more and more in my faith, and would further develop my patience as God would test my faith a little more, and a little more, and still more. Recently with thousands of dollars in recent unexpected business expenditures I needed a job more than ever. 

It slowly began to dawn on me that if I really wanted a job bad enough I would need to keep knocking and sooner or later a door would open. This was about 2 months ago. Sure enough a door did open! A week ago I was talking with a friend who’s good at networking and he mentioned how he had referred me to a lady who owned a number of apartments because he liked the work he’d seen and also knew what I stood for. I thought to myself, "Well that may be an opportunity but we'll see if the door stays open and it's truly God's will.

The job ended up working out. I just accepted a job as an on-call manager/maintenance person for a few rental properties in the Cincinnati area. Although it's small, it's the next step, it pays really well, and I'm happy with it! If there’s something that this has taught me it's simply, "take one step at a time and the answer will come." God's timing is perfect! Had I not been working on another smaller group of rentals that I help maintain I would never have landed this bigger contract and the one who referred to this property owner would never have even thought of me.

 "I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me." - Philippians 4:12-13
"...godliness with contentment is great gain." - 1 Timothy 6:6

What about me you say... well, remain content where you are, keep plodding, with the opportunities God had placed before you, and keep walking through the doors in front of you that are open and you'll get farther than you ever thought you could have gotten. Whether it be a job, career, spouse, calling, unsaved soul, or ministry dream, keep knocking on the door of heaven for an answer and keep plodding away.

The  answer will come – probably not in our time, and in a way we least expect it, but it will come.            Until then we must be patient and keep taking the next step.

>>For more thoughts on being faithful, plodding, and taking one step at a time --  click ((here)).

"Remember, miles are covered one step at a time..."


No comments: